A brief training session is required to ensure that the space is properly used and respected to provide a quality environment for aspiring and experienced artists alike. Open 24/5 to members of the Oxy community.
Ground Floor, Academic Commons inside the Maker Space
Inside the booth, you can find an essential selection of audio equipment to create professional-caliber music. We have a selection of condesor and dynamic microphones, mic stands, movable sound dampening foam, a midi keyboard, a high powered iMac, and music creation software such as Abelton Live 9, Logic X, FL Studio, and ProTools. Additional microphones, control surfaces, and audio accessories may be checked out from the Equipment Closet.
Reserve the Audio Booth
To reserve the audio booth in the CMS, you must attend a brief orientation.
The Audio Booth Orientation will cover basic care and set up of dynamic and condenser microphones, the digital audio interface, and an overview of available DAWs. It will also go over the ground rules of working in a shared space so that we can keep the space orderly and accessible to all.
Upon completion you will be added to a shared calendar and can reserve a time. This calendar will be used by the Library Circulation staff to confirm your access to the key.
Summer 2019 Training is by request to Jacob Alden Sargent at firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to equipment that resides in the Audio Booth, we also loan audio recording and monitoring equipment for off-site sound and video projects.
Critical Making Studio Check Out Desk
Ground floor of the Academic Commons
Mixer Mackie ProFX12
- Professional 12-channel Compact Mixer with onboard effects and USB I/O
- 6 low-noise, high-headroom Mackie mic preamps with easy LED metering
- 32-bit RMFX processor with 16 “Gig-Ready” reverbs, choruses and delays
- Precision 7-band graphic EQ for tuning Mains or Monitors
- USB I/O for recording shows and music playback via Mac or PC
- 4 full stereo channels plus extra stereo return for keyboards, external effects or stereo playback devices
- 60mm faders for input channels, returns and Main/Monitor masters
- 3-band active EQ (80Hz, 2.5kHz and 12kHz) on all channels
- Hi-Z input for direct connection of guitar, bass and other instruments
- Insert, 100Hz low cut filter, and 48V phantom power on all mic channels
- Stereo RCA tape I/O with input level control
- Headphone output with separate rotary level control
- Balanced XLR and balanced/unbalanced 1/4-inch Main outputs
- FX mute with remote control via footswitch
- Break switch mutes all channels for music playback between sets
- Built-like-a-tank steel chassis with rugged, yet stylish ABS sidecheeks
- “Planet Earth” switching power supply for worldwide use
Roland 32 Key MIDI Keyboard and Controller
Tascam 8 Channel Audio Interface
Shure SM57 1
- Uniform cardioid pickup pattern isolates the main source while reducing background noise
- Frequency response 40 to 15,000 Hz
- Located in the Audio Booth